Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Should I put him on the stand?

Always have to second guess a jury's response to a defendant's testimony. Obviously, if you can get an aquittal, then it was the right decision. However, if you get a guilty verdict and your client testified (with your approval and his/her criminal background doesn't do too much damage), then you have to wonder, wonder, wonder...if you made the right decision in agreeing to let your client testify. The reality is that of course, it is always the client's ultimate decision....but those in my field know that we have an awful lot of input on that decision. I still wonder about one particular case, about a year ago...if he should have testified, to which I agreed heartily. He is serving a 10 year/85% parole disqualifer term. I wonder.

No comments: